Arts & Science
Welcome to the A&S activities at Double Wars XXX!
This year we hope to encourage as many outdoor activities and classes as possible – woodworking, practical cooking classes, pottery, furniture building or iron smelting – your imagination is the only limitation to the classes we can have.
For the Arts and Science schedule to succeed we need You to share your skills. Without the populace the schedule would be quite empty, so if you want to teach a class, lead a workshop or do a lecture, follow the link and fill in the form. If you have questions or suggestions please don’t hesitate to mail. When all classes have been set we close down class registration, and then you can go to the schedule and mark all of the activities you plan to attend, and print your own personalized schedule!
If you have any questions, please send them to the A&S Co-ordinator Lady Silwa af Swaneholm at firstname.lastname@example.org
Each year we try to help the Signets of the Kingdom by providing an opportunity for scribes to produce blank scrolls for the use of the Kingdom, or Principalities
The blank scroll competition has the following rules:
- The scroll has to be a blank and not be designated for a certain person. It may contain symbols of orders or awards.
- The scrolls will, after the competition, be given to either Their Majesties or Their Highnesses of Nordmark or Insulae Draconis, or their Signet Scribes. The scribe who made the blank scroll decides where the scroll goes.
- If you have a short description of the scroll (like from where you got the inspiration, what century it is etc.) it is appreciated!
- Sign your scroll on the back and make sure to leave information to the person running the competition (Silwa af Swaneholm) to which Crown or Coronet you wish to donate the scroll.
- The prizes are donated from Mistress Bridget Greywolf as they have been the past years and are included source books, precious materials, nibs, gold and more.
Laurels Prize Display
On Wednesday afternoon the Laurels Prize Display takes center stage again, and artisans from the Kingdom have the opportunity to show their art, and talk about it in a non-competitive environment. Everyone is encouraged to visit the display, and if you are able please bring tokens to leave with all the artisans, or your favourites. The best sort of display shows how a thing is made, and explains the steps, and maybe provides an opportunity for visitors to try it themselves.
The Laurel Prize Display will be hosted in the Tavern Hall and the event will serve a spectacular afternoon tea and dessert buffé for all who wish to make a visit! The Display will be coordinated by Mistress Lia de Thornegge.
Guest Laurel at DW XXX
This year´s guest laurel are Master Vyncent atte Wodegate of the West Kingdom. He was elevated to the Order of the Laurel in 2008 for leatherwork, dance, and music. He has been studying and reproducing shoes and raised heels (chopines, zoccoli, stacked heels) for over fifteen years, and is the author of “Chopine, Zoccolo, and Other Raised Heel Construction” (http://www.raisedheels.com). Although his specific area of interest is the later half of the 16th century, he is interested in all manner of shoemaking, costuming, dance. music, cooking, woodworking, and serving and carving at feast.
Classes that Vyncent will hold:
Basics of Shoemaking I
Basics of Shoemaking II
Table Manners and Carving at Feast
Complete Shoemaking part I
Complete Shoemaking part II
Complete Shoemaking part III
Complete Shoemaking part IV
The series of Complete shoemaking workshops will be your opportunity to make a pair of lasted shoes with Master Vyncent’s assistance and tools. Here are Master Vyncents Shoe_Form that will be used prepare the lasts for the classes. Last day to sign up was 18/4.
For more info about each class, please visit Sched https://doublewars2017.sched.com/…/mastervyncentattewodegate