A&S Class Schedule
This year’s schedule can be seen here as a pdf file.
Below are all class descriptions, listed alpbabetically.
- 15th century clothing with Signe Scriffuerska. I will talk about my own research in this area, an discuss with the participants the problems in making clothes from this area.( Textile)
- A series of branles with Nicole d’Anjou. We will learn to dance some easy branles: Double branle, Horse’s branle, Branle Official och Turkish Branle.
This class requires no knowledge of dancing, everybody can join. (Dance / Music)
- Advanced Choir Practice with Náttfari Garðarsson. Do you know how to carry a tune well? Are you able to sing a part on your own alone? Are you able to vary your dynamics, i.e. sing soft and loud? Are you able to quickly learn a new part?
This class is more focused on more advanced singing, focusing more on varying dynamics, clear pronunciation, tempos, etc. to make the music really come alive and become exciting.
If we’re few you may find you have to sing your part on your own.
A list of songs that we will be practising will be published later (I hope).
Sheet music will be provided, but feel free to bring your own. (Dance / Music)
- Beginners Choir Practice with Náttfari Garðarsson. Are you afraid of singing solo, but like singing? Maybe you have sung in a choir a long time ago? Or you just enjoy singing together with people? Then this is a class for you.
We will be learning and practising some easy songs in parts. If all goes well we can also meet in the evening and practice more.
There will be sheet music available. (Dance / Music)
- Belt making with Heinrich vom Hohen Ufer. Cut yout belt out off veggy-leather, carve it, stamp it, cut it as you like, add a bucke (that you brought). I’ll bring leather, tools and color, you bring the bucke and an idea. (Leatherwork)
- Bubble Wars with Aelfwynne of Eoforwic. WAR! With Bubbles! For youths and adults with a youthful mind. (Youth Activities)
- Childrens clothing and acessories with Vicomtessa Anna Laresdotter. A short lecture and then a workshop where you can make a pattern and start sewing. Please bring paper and fabric. Some material are possible to buy from me. (Textile)
- Dance-training for DW20 ball with Willhelmina Weydehartz, Signe Scriffuerska, Arenwald von Hagenburg. This class will teach some of the dances that will be danced at Drachenwald 20 yrs anniversary balls. The dances will need some previous dance-experience or knowledge of basic dance-steps, the dances and the steps will be taught during class.
The dances at the ball will be:
> Petits Vriens*
> Gracca Amorosa
> Jenny Pluck Pears
> Official Branle*
> Set II:
> Double Bransle*
> Madame Cecilia Almain* (eight repetitions or so)
> Horse’s Branle*
> Set III:
> Rostiboli Gioioso
> Montarde bransle*
> Black Almain*
> Petite Rose*
> Set IV:
> Lybens Disonis*
> Black Nag
> Danse de Cleves
> Turkish Branle* (mistakenly called the “Maltese Bransle” in the SCA)*The first dance class will focus on danced from the first set. The second dance class will focus on dances from the second set. The third dance class will focus on dances from the third set. The fourth dance class will focus on dances from the third set. The last dance class for the week will be rehearsing the dances we have already tried during the week.” Dance / Music
Dances of three Nicole d’Anjou ”We will learn to dance two different dances that require three dancers: Petits Vriens and Orynge.
This class requires no knowledge of dancing, everybody can join.” (Dance / Music)
- DW20 Dekormöte with Isabetta del Verde. Planning meeting for the Feast hall that Nordmark is responsible for decorating at Drachenwald 20 Years Celebration and Midsummer Coronation. (Miscellaneous)
- Elizabethan Raised Embroidery with Lia de Thornegge. This will be a practical class to learn a little bit of the late period embroidery that was stuffed and raised. Surface covering stitches, build to create three-dimensional motifs. Please bring an embroidery frame, and needle, as well as a piece of scrap linen to work on. Wool fibre for stuffing as well as silk thread will be available for a cost. (Textile)
- How to analyze your fabric with Willhelmina weydehartz. The class will teach you about how to analyze your fabric. It will teach you about different methods (water, fire, force, fibertexture and feeling) and give you the opportunity to try somee of the methods to test your skills in recognising the right fiber. We will work with the proper historical materials and the ones that can fool you. (Textile)
- Left-handed calligraphy with Lady Alfhild de Foxley. For the beginner.
Are you left-handed and have wanted to learn to calligraphy, but felt that it was difficult when almost all the material is right-handed. Fear not, there is a solution. Materials will be provided. (Scribal Arts)
- Medieval dancing for children with Willhelmina Weydehartz. Medieval dancing basic steps and easy dances for children. (Dance / Music)
- Medieval Cantillation with Aaron von Turmstadt. Did you know, that every book in the old testament is originally a song something like an opera? The melodies of these books are over 3000 years old, however, today mostly medieval melodies are employed, as they have been enriched from the older ones up to some 500 years ago.
The class introduces briefly the history and numerous melodic traditions, why such melodies exist, how the cantillation works, how the cantillation symbols look like, what they are called, what they do and what are their meanings and functions. A practical example will also be given. (Miscellaneous)
- Medieval illuminations with Lady Alfhild de Foxley. You admire all the beautiful pictures of medieval manuscripts and would like to try and make your own, either a scroll or a painting to hang on the wall. (Scribal Arts)
- Medieval Instrumental Jam Session with Náttfari Garðarsson ”Bring along your instruments and practice playing together. Our skills will vary quite a bit, but that shouldn’t stop us from practicing easy dance music or other pieces and just have fun!
I will bring along some copies of the Pennsic Pile to practice from, but feel free to bring along your other sheet music as well.
Most likely there will be some extra instruments available that you can borrow, but bring along what you have. (Dance/Music)
- Nordmarks Vapentapet with Isabetta del Verde. Help paint more panels on the Nordmark armorial tapestry project. (Textile)
- Pattern darning with Åsa vävare. A counted thread embroidery. See website for more information about this class. (Textile)
- Plain weave, twill… with Åsa vävare. What makes a fabric? A basic lecture about different kinds of interlacement, structures and yarn. See website for more information about this class.( Textile)
- Same-sex sexuality in the Middle Ages with Fru Aleydis van Vilvoorde. While the terms hetero- and homosexual were not invented until the 19th century there was certainly people who fell in loved with and/or had sex with someone of the same sex as themselves? What were the Medieval ideas on this? How was it explained and how did it relate to other types of sexual deviance in the period? Religious and medical views are discussed and a brief history of same sex sexuality is given. (Miscellaneous)
- Supportive underwear with Lady Renika Rikardsdottir. How to make your own medieval bra, based on the Lengberg finds. Theory only. Could make a practical class if wanted, but then I have to limit the number of participants. (Textile)
- Woven edges and buttons with Åsa vävare. With a little rigid heddle you kan weave edges on your dress. Or make a purse.
See website for more information about this class. (Textile)
- Your Crafts with Aelfwynne of Eoforwic. Craft workshop for youth. Make your own hood (bring fabric), learn different yarn techniques such as fingerloop braiding, finger knitting and naalbinding and make magical bubble rods to be used at bubble war! This is not a babysitting service. For children to be left unattended they need to be 7 or older. (Textile)
If you want to register another class – please contact the A&S co-ordinators directly.